RetroMacCast

Where great old Macs live again!

I think it would be great if this site add some kind of embedded chat capability for members to use. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is there a way to incorporate iChat (including video chat) on the site?
I'm working on a solution for text chat, but I doubt there's a way to do anything more without having access to the server.
Well, a javascript based chat system is available at sourceforge, but looks like it really wants a host running php. I'm not familiar with just how much control ning allows, or if we'd want it "outside" of ning. Just a thought.

I don't know just how heavy this would be on the server.

http://www.webdev.ro/products/webchat/

Wholly
Followup -

I just noticed on the main page a new section labeled "Future Chat Client". I assume one is coming, we should probably just wait for them to finish it up.
Actually, I wrote that. I was using the block to try some different chat clients. I ran some experiments yesterday, but I haven't found a solution yet.
That certainly changes the meaning of the word "they" in my previous post. How much leeway does ning allow?
I'm not sure what is possible, but I'm trying to find out. I did get a chat client installed, but I didn't like it very much so I'm still searching.
You might have noticed the Meebo chat client on the Main page. It's not quite what I had in mind, but it's a start. Currently, it only works if I'm logged into my Meebo account in another browser window. Then, you'll see me as "online". You can do a similar thing by creating your own embedded Meebo client and pasting it in a widget box on your RMC page. That way, if you're logged into Meebo (again, in a separate window), people that visit your RMC page can chat with you.

You can get the embedded Meebo client here.
That would explain why I might not have seen it as an option!
If you'd just open an IRC channel somewhere we can all use the client/platform/device we prefer, be it iPhones, old Macs or whatever...?
Thanks for the suggestion...I guess I need to investigate the best way to do this. I don't have much experience with setting up IRC. Any ideas on where to get started?
Look down. (grin)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by James.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service