RetroMacCast

Where great old Macs live again!

We're retro-Mac, but we're fans of the earlier Apple computers too!

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just got my Apple IIGS set up this afternoon. There are a few things I cannot figure out how to do and surprisingly Google is not giving any answers.
How do I quit a game that does not have a menu option to quit? I have tried all of the steps in the Apple pdf:
"Press Q (for Quit).
Press Esc.
Press Control-C.
Press Control-C, then press Return.
Press Control-Reset.
Press the Apple key-Control-Reset.
Turn off the power switch."
The only thing that works is turning off the power. This doesn't seem like it's good for the computer. Is there another way?

Apple says this about changing games/programs:
"There's a better way (better for the power switch and for the circuitry inside the computer).
Instead of turning off the power switch and exchanging the program disks, do this:
Choose the application's Quit option, but don't turn off the computer's power.
Push in on the disk drive eject button, remove the last application program disk you were
using, and insert the one you want to use next.
Hold down the Apple key and Control while you press Reset. Then release all three keys,
starting with Reset.
If it seems awkward, you're doing it right! If it were more convenient, you might press the
keys by accident and restart your application, losing everything stored in memory up to that
point."
Since I don't seem to be finding a way to quit the games, is it safe to just eject the disk and then put a new one in before I do the Apple-Control-Reset?

How do I shut down the computer properly? I've been pushing the power button on the system saver that powers everything. That seems wrong to me but it's all I can figure out to do.

When I turn it on, it wants a disk in the drive. I've been using game disks so far. There doesn't seem to be an OS like I'm used to that has a desktop or a finder, etc. Is there an OS with a desktop somewhere in the computer itself that has a proper way to shut down, etc?

Does this exist within the IIGS and how do I get to it?

Thanks!!
Since I don't seem to be finding a way to quit the games, is it safe to just eject the disk and then put a new one in before I do the Apple-Control-Reset?

I usually restart before I put the new disk in.

How do I shut down the computer properly? I've been pushing the power button on the system saver that powers everything. That seems wrong to me but it's all I can figure out to do.

As long as you take the disk out first, thats it!

When I turn it on, it wants a disk in the drive. I've been using game disks so far. There doesn't seem to be an OS like I'm used to that has a desktop or a finder, etc. Is there an OS with a desktop somewhere in the computer itself that has a proper way to shut down, etc?

The OS for the IIgs can be bought on floppies from here. Or if you have an older mac you can make your own with the disk images here. Also if you are looking for some more games or other IIgs info try this great site. Once you have the os you'll have access to the IIgs control panel. The text Apple IIGS control panel is accessible by pressing Control-Apple-Esc.
Thank you for the help!! I printed this out and have added it to my pages I printed out of the good parts of Apple's manual (I pieced together the parts of Apple's pdf I found helpful with Text Edit, so I wouldn't have to print stacks of useless info I'd have to rummage through to find anything). I keep referring to these pages non stop, probably because I am now overly tired but am refusing to quit trying to learn more about the world of the Apple II.
I've been frustrated by my joystick all evening because it just would not go left 95% of the time and I kept getting eaten by the ghosts so quickly in Pac Man. I'm so happy now because I stumbled upon a fix on Vectronic's Apple World. It said to adjust the "gain" via the little wheels on the bottom of the joystick. I had no idea which way or how much to move the wheels, but whatever I did worked like a charm!! The Pac Man now maneuvers through the maze so nicely. My goal is to regain my skill level from the days when my brother and I played endless Pac Man matches on our brand new Atari. I think we actually played Ms Pac Man more, but that's in the box of games from eBay. I have a LOT of practicing to do!! My brother still has our old Atari; actually he has a whole room of Atari! X Box has invaded, too; but my brother's favorite will always be the Atari. His son has been a master of Atari (and X Box) since about age three (he's almost six now). I guess we both share the Retro bug!
My WallStreet has a floppy drive. Can I use it to download games from whatisthe2gs and just drag them onto the floppy? The WallStreet boots into OS 9.2 or Panther. Or is there a special way I have to format/write to the disks? I have some floppies that are 2DD unformatted 1.0MB that my WallStreet formats as 800K. The other floppies I have are 2HD Mac formatted 1.44MB double sided hi density. All of my other games are on the 5.25 flexible floppies, but the only 5.25 drive I have is on the IIGS which has no internet access. Which kind of disks are the best/ right kind to use?

Also, when I click on your link, or any other links on the web, for whatisthe2gs, I get a bunch of error messages. I have to use Google's cached version.

I already can access the Control Panel by Control-Apple-Esc. That's how I have to enter the alternate display to play PacMan since it initially loads as all 2s.

I did order System 5.0.4 from Syndicomm. They said without a hard drive, I should stick with that. I don't know how much memory is installed, either. Once I have the OS, hopefully I can find out how much memory is installed.
Hi Heather!

Congrats on the find!

Regarding Quit: If it's a GS/OS "desktop" program then Apple-Q will generally quit the program. If you are running older Apple II programs, generally there is no quit function, you are expected to reboot or power off when done.

Sorry to say but your Wallstreet will not read Apple IIgs floppies, which are in Prodos disk format. Your best bet is Apple Disk Transfer which is a Mac OS X application that connects to any Apple II over a serial cable, then takes over that Apple's floppy drive. It's really cool and you can preserve old disks this way. The serial cable is a bit hard to find, you will need a male/male mini-din-8 serial cable and it needs to be wired "null-modem". Radio shack will NOT have this, you will need to hit up a serious electronics supply, or more likely make it yourself. Contact me if you have trouble sourcing it.

Good luck and have fun! Keep that little prize alive! --tim
Hi,
Just been busy. Get your self a power strip for the IIgs. The switch on the power supply is one of the things that tend to go over time.

The three finger salute Apple-Control-Reset is the best way to quit with a warm reboot.

There is no OS like you are use to on a Mac because you do not have a HD on or in the IIgs.

( the CAFF is the cheapest way to go and take up the least space since the HD is solid state)

The System folder, and Note pad are part of the GS/OS. 6.0.1 was the last one. Their are a lot of NDAs,, CDevs, inits, finder extras, Rsounds, and few patches out there. That will give it a different personality and even a different look. But they requrire a bit of memory to use. Rsounds use up a lot of memory.

With out a HD you need only one of the six disk of the 6.01 for booting up. Really need 2-3.5 as when you try to run another 800k disk you do not loose you OS. With one drive you do a lot of disk switching.

You do not need an OS to get to the control panel. Just that it will be all text. With the GS/OS you will get the icons. From the control panel you can tell how much ram/memory you have. You can even make a ram disk. Rom 0 and Rom 01 have 256k on the Mother Board. A Rom 03 has one meg on the mother board. Ram cards came in different sizes. For a HD on the IIgs a 4 meg card is good.

If you need any serial cable I have more than I will ever need.

To get to the control pannel hold down the option key whiile booting. Or an Apple control esc keys. Everything with a check is set for default. If the battery is bad your settings will not stay, everything will go back to default.

With the Wallstreet, 9.2 should be able to read IIgs Prodoos 800k disks, need a certain extension. Carbon or Carbon Copy comes to mind. Not sure if that is the correct one. The IIgs can see and read HFS disks, Just have to have the FTS or is it FSTs in place. With out a HD you may have to delet things off the start up OS disk to put these on.

Me, I use an Zip 100/250 meg cart to move things from the Mac OSX on to the IIgs HDs which is SCSI. No time to play with the CAFF. It is suppose to play nice with the SCSI.

Take Care
A quick look inside the machine will tell you. Or you can use the control panel to give you the size.

As for disks, Any 5.25 disks that have the metal hub. Double Density, not the High Density disks.

Head cleaning kits for both 3.5 and 5.25s. Most disks are old even if they are not used. They oxidized over time. The brown film that comes off of them can foul a drives head so it will not read or write.

All it takes is one disk one time. I have to clean my heads every now and then.

Take Care
Im looking for floppys for system 6.1 for my apple II GS I try to downloading them from apple but ways I get one that is corroup
do you konw any one that got em for sale ?
Many of us have the compact flash adapters as they are quiet and fast and don't use a lot of power compared to the older drives. You do miss the experience of a hard disk shaking your desk, but storage is much cheaper.

This is kind of bad news but Richard Dreher at this page looks to be getting out of this style of card. Many of us have them.

The others I can safely recommend is from Reactive Micro and 16sector.com. Henry at Reactive Micro has helped me keep my machine running while Tony at 16 Sector is a long time hardware designer with a fantastic reputation.

They all work in very similar ways (although Tony's is probably so advanced that most of us wouldn't know what to do with it.). Tony's adapter is based on a commercial controller so has some strong support and history. I can't tell you much about the others but the community stands behind them.

They are really nice - not fussy like a floppy.
The one thing you'll find is that DOS 3.3 really didn't like the idea of big disks/networking. There are some standards and hacks that work but apparently they don't work with everything. My personal experience is on //gs (never had a hard disk in an Apple II) under GS/OS which understood big disks.

Networking is another semi-problem. There are currently about three general uses for an ethernet card in an apple //. 1. ADTPro - The best way to create an image - and wicked fast using an ethernet connection. 2. Contiki - More or less the only choice on non-GS machines. A small alternative os that has been seen on other 6502 based systems. 3. GS/OS - Some limited use here with some tools that know how to use it. IRC clients and even a Twitter desk accessory are available.

Networking is interesting but not as critical as the CF adapter for enjoying the limited time you get to goof off.
I currently have the following Pre-Mac machines:

Apple II+
- I have several of these stacked away. Don't use any of them at the moment.

Apple IIe
- I have one functional system platinum model, and approx 26 IIe logic boards stored away for a rainy day.

Apple IIgs
- Have a ROM01 model. Never had faith in the ROM03. I also have a Woz Limited Edition with the soldered PRAM, but have it stored away for safe keeping.

Apple IIc+
- Because this has a built-in 3.5-inch drive, this is currently my work horse when it comes to Apple IIs.

Lisa 2
- It sort of works. Has Lisa 7/7 installed. When I turn it on, thick black smoke pours out of it. I haven't bothered to troubleshoot the source, but I suspect it is the power supply. Too expensive to replace!

Apple III+
- Bought it about 10 years ago. It has a Profile 5MB drive, and uses SOS.

Basis 108
- This is an Apple II+ clone, made in Germany. I have three of these - one working and other two for parts. The cool thing about this unit is that it has built-in Z-80 and 80-column video. It has the BEST chassis I've ever seen in a computer - but weighs about 800 pounds. You can shoot at this thing with a shotgun and not penetrate it.

Franklin Ace 1000/1200
- I have one of each. Much better keyboard than the Apple II+

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by James.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service