RetroMacCast

Where great old Macs live again!

Let's share stories of our first Macintosh experiences! I'll go first.

It's been a few years now, but I seem to recall that I first sat down at a Mac in a department store in shopping mall in Wichita KS around 1985 or 1986. They had a single Mac on a desk just off the furniture sales area. Nobody was even there to sell it so I sat down and started drawing things with MacPaint. I'm not sure I had even heard of the Mac until then so it was quite mesmerizing. Later, I would get MousePaint for my Apple //e to try to recreate that experience, but it wasn't the same. It's amazing how rudimentary MacPaint is by today's standards, but back then, it was revolutionary!

Views: 187

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been thinking about getting a Commodore 64 for my collection (even though its no an Apple).
My favorite thing to do with these is hook it up to a cheap TV and play around with the built-in screen editor. You can switch colors and draw special characters all over the screen. I love it how they silk-screened the special characters on the side of the keys!

The games are fun but I'm too impatient to wait for the floppy drive :)
Our first home computer was a C64. I now have several C64s, a C128, and an SX-64 in my collection. They were great machines. With GEOS, they even had a Mac-like GUI.
I can remember spending hours at a friend's house where we would be typing basic programs from magazines into his VIC-20 and later, his C-64. It would be a few years later until I would get a computer at home, the Apple //e.
Wow Eric, that's intense. What else you got in that collection? My buddy sean would be drooling over this stuff.
There are a few others that I don't have written down, but, in addition to the Commodore things, there are: two Apple ][e's, an Apple ][+, Mac 128, Mac 512, Mac Plus, Mac SE, Mac LC III, two IBM PCs (the 5150, original), another IBM PC that is marked as a model 5151 that I have no idea what it is, Atari 600XL, a Kaypro II, an Altos (not exactly sure what that thing even is), a Coleco Adam, and a bunch of peripherals, mostly for the Apple ][s and Commodores.

Not all of them work, but many do. None are displayed; they're all in storage, which I am certain is not doing them any good. I've been thinking about setting up one of the C64s on an old TV for my kids, but they're always on the Mac mini or the GameCube. :)
Hi everyone, I've been kind of putting this off, but I have a minute so here goes. I am Neal and I love macs. All macs new and old.

I grew up on an Apple IIe and in 1993 I tried my first LC when I was in 3rd grade. Those were the golden days of macs in schools. I continued using macs and my mom eventually bought a performa 5200 in 1995. From then on it was all macs for me except for a brief stint at military college with Dell. Thank god that is over.

I hope to get to know all you guys and girls. Glad to be here.
1986. I'd just graduated from college and the booming game market had just dried up (thanks E.T.) so finding a decent job was a bit of a problem. I ended up in an independent Apple retailer that was at the time selling Apples and Kaypro machines. I was more on the technical side but selling machines was not beyond me. Comparing the MS Word manuals of the time it was really easy to sell someone the Mac version compared to DOS. A couple of times when I had people concerned that they were going to be able to learn how to use the machines I would have them close their eyes and put the mac manual on one foot and the DOS manual on the other. "Which one would you rather read?"

It was even more fun to ask them to point out the fastest and most powerful computer on our center display stand. There were two macs and a Kaypro - and a Laserwriter. Most were shocked when I told them it was the Laserwriter. And then we printed from both the macs AND the kaypro. Sold a lot of them that way.
My first mac was used in middle school. Our school was fully mac outfitted which was wild when i went to high school and got lost in a world of Windows 95 URGH. I remember fondly hyper card stacks and using them to build multimedia presentations and Kidpix for all the wacky art fun. I even remember the clipart discs which had to be placed into a Cd Jewel case looking device before being inserted into the drive. My fondest memory though was building a extra credit text adventure/choose your own adventure type game in hyper card. I never had the option to finish it though since i just ran out of time.

When it was time to buy my second computer outside of high school i purchased a iBook G4 and have not looked back since. The first btw was a Win ME machine that was more of a nightmare than i can even explain.
I don't think ME can be explained.
If I recall my first Macintosh experience, it must be carefully clicking an 'interesting' shaped "Reboot" button on a iMac G3 running OS 8.1 in the local "Primafoon" store, around 1997. These machines were sold there but were always locked up ("hanging").

I had been fascinated with Macs but in The Netherlands, Macs have no market share outside the print/publishing industry and therefore I knew nobody who owned a Mac and I had never used one.

While I was working in a computer store as a part-time job a customer ordered an iBook G3 for his daughter, who would go to a Graphic Design school in Rotterdam. The 12" iBook turned out to be not the machine he needed and the computer store couldn't return it to it's supplier, so it stood there untouched for about 3 months in a corner of the shop. After this I started playing with the machine, casually browsing the OS and after a while they asked me if I would like to buy it for € 500. So I did and played with the iBook running Jaguar.

Two years later most of the sales staff had converted to Macs and were pushing Windows boxes from behind their PowerBooks!
It wasn't until University around 95 that I eventually found myself using a Mac (though only to use a terminal program to get onto Pine email) though I'd coveted one for years. A few years later I was using the newly released G3 series for DTP and photoshop and despite a brief (budget-enforced) dalliance with PCs I'm now a fully-paid up Mac evangelist... and I may just have one or two older models hiding away....

That was far from my first Apple Computer Inc experience though. Back in the early 80s, the local education authority had one or two Apple IIs (I'm guessing Europlus models) which they would circulate around the schools. My first Apple experience was therefore an Apple one... and it wasn't a good one: not sure how it didn't put me off for life. There we were in class, playing one of those dumb text-based adventure games. Sadly we didn't take the potion we needed, or couldn't find the elf in the forest and lost. To the 'do you want to play again Y/N' prompt, I typed a precocious 'N' and the system crashed. No restart could fix it.... and the Apples never came to our school again.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service