RetroMacCast

Where great old Macs live again!

James and John discuss eBay finds: Apple watch, Woz envelope, NeXT CubeLisa, and clear SE.  They give a brief history of Macintosh viruses, and news includes a Jobs signed chip, OSX on a Portableprototypes, Woz with a Coz, and early Apple I photographs.

Subscribe to the RetroMacCast in iTunes

RetroMacCast on Flickr

RetroMacCast iOS App: iTunes

Naked Security: History of Mac malware 1982-2011

Elk Cloner

Macintosh Garden: Virus Rx

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Listening to this episode got me to reminiscing when I got hit with the Sevendust virus.  About 6 years ago, I had set up my Power Mac 7500 with a clean install and was building up my software library and other resources.  As I was progressing, I started to notice these strange files showing up at the top of each list of each folder on the Mac's hard drive, floppy discs, an external SCSI hard drive and a USB thumb drive.  It was a hollow square (like a line feed/next page character) followed by 666.  It never occurred to me that it was a virus, until after I tried to delete it. 

It was probably after a month that I started to get random errors during startup and no matter how many times that I tried to Trash these 666 files, they would regenerate.  It got so bad to the point of not being able to boot to OS 9.  I ended up having to "nuke and repave" the install; but not before backing up, first.  After the fact, I then did some research online.  What came back was that it could be one of many strains of the Sevendust virus.  Other users were recommending to use an app called "Agax" to quarantine and remove the infection.  Turns out, the virus piggy-backs on and inside compressed files circulating online, so you will have to thoroughly scan these files after downloading. 

It was a lot of work, since I had to scan every single drive and disk infected; it took a good portion of the day to nip this in the bud.  Still to this day, I run Agax on every file I download, just to be sure I'm not infected. 

Never got hit by any of ye olde Mac viri, but I couldn't resist the Woz First Day Cover.  Hope it arrives before Christmas.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service