RetroMacCast

Where great old Macs live again!

It's been a while since I've been here and a while since I used my iMac G4, I'm sorry to say. When I was using it last I had an external drive hooked up to it with 40,000 tunes on it. Unfortunately, I needed the drive for something else, so I disconnected it. I'm now done with that function, so I decided to reconnect the drive to my iMac G4. So, here's the problem. I can't for the life of me figure out what I connected it with and how. I'm 99% certain I was using my Iomega TB drive with it. The jacks on the back are two FireWire 800 jacks and a usb jack. The options on the G4 iMac are FireWire 400 and usb. I would swear I was using FireWire, so I tried a FireWire 800-400 connector. The computer doesn't see the drive, though. So, I tried a few usb connectors, but no go. I was using the drive with a 2012 1/2 MacBook Pro and ended up using it as a backup drive for time machine. So, I'm trying to figure out if the drive was reconfigured and now the old machine will never see it or if I'm just not figuring out the connector I was using. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David:

If your 2012 MacBook recognizes the drive but the iMac G4 does not, I'm thinking of a possible formatting issue. Did you reformat this drive after you removed this drive from the G4? Try to remember what occurred after you removed this drive from the G4 and used it for something else (maybe reformatted for a PC?)? Just a thought, but I'm thinking this is the source of your issue more so than your connectors. Let us know how this turns out - your story may help someone else. Thank you.

-Jake

Thanks for responding. Definitely not reformatted for PC. My thought is maybe something happened when I ran it through Time Machine to perform he back up. It's the only thing that could have altered it, because, otherwise, all I did was drag and drop things onto it. I'm thinking I need to buy a different drive for this purpose now, which hopefully won't be a problem.

David:

Just in case, try running Disk Utility on it to check the drive and permissions; also DiskWarrior (for deeper issues that Disk Utility can't handle) if you have it. But I do understand; I have seen drives get damaged to the point they were visible but inaccessible and totally unavailable at other times. Yes, a disrupted Time Machine backup can do terrible things. So Sorry; whatever you may have to do, I wish you the best.

-Jake

All my drives are recognized by all my other vintage Macs, including this one. I can mount it on my Clamshell iBook and my two MacBook Pros without a problem. There wasn't a problem with the Time Machine back up. It was uninterrupted. I don't believe any of my drives are damaged. I'm running OS version 10.3 on my clamshell Mac and 10.2.8 on the iMac G3. After I put some tunes on my 500 GB drive  from my MacBook Pro (OS 10.12.3) the iMac G4 (OS 10.2.8) would no longer recognize the drive. I changed the permissions on it using the MacBook Pro to read and write everyone and unlocked it. The G4 recognizes it again, so I think this is what's necessary to get the older operating system to accept it. I tried the same thing on the 1 TB drive. I finally got it to mount. I think I was dealing with two issues with the 1 TB drive, the permissions and I'd forgotten everything needs to be plugged in before you turn it on (it has it's own power source, where the 500 GB drive is powered by the computer connection).

David:

That's great news! So glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue. I know how stubborn external HD issues can be at times. It's always easy to forget a quirk, here or there, that we had to deal with to get older equipment to run; then one day we try to change things up and run it on something else and whoa! What was that issue that I used to have to deal with? :)

Thanks for updating us on the resolution and take care.

-Jake

Yeah, any time you try to mesh different eras of equipment, you're bound to run into something. I seem to always be doing that, not just with Macs, but with stereo and video equipment. With the newer Macs problems seem to often stem back to permissions. I'm surprised I didn't think of that to begin with. Thanks again for responding. It always helps to have someone else in on the frustration.
Success!
Attachments:
For some reason this one didn't load.
Attachments:

David:

Sweet! That is a beautiful sight. You have inspired me; I'm going to reconnect my drive holding my iTunes collection and get it playing again. Love the sunflower iMac G4 also. Cheers.

-Jake

Glad to have inspired!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by James.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service