RetroMacCast

Where great old Macs live again!

Hi guys

I wrote in the forums a couple of weeks back regarding transferring files from a SCSI hard drive in my SE/30 to a SD card using the SCSI2SD adapter, and I promised that once I do the transfer that I'll take pictures along the way. So here they are!

SE/30 and SCSI2SD album

Overall the process was relatively painless (bar one stuff up — more on that later). The SE/30 is running System 7.1 and I used the in-built Apple tools to initialize and partition the drive. The Initialization took a while, where the cursor was still spinning around but the clock had stopped. I initially thought (hah! no pun intended) that the Mac had crashed, but I decided to wait it out and after about 20 minutes the initialization was completed, albeit with only a 20MB partition.

I found out how to delete the partition and then create a new one that was 2GB in size, so once that was done all I had to do was copy the files across. John said to make sure the System folder was blessed, which it was once the copy was done, and after turning off the Mac, removing the old spinning hard drive and just leaving the SCSI2SD adapter still connected, I booted up and everything worked A-OK.

I also found out that changing the SCSI ID to 0 (it was set to 2 during the data migration process) makes the boot up time just a little bit quicker, so I did that through the SCSI2SD command line tools on my iMac and put everything back together.

Alas, while I was putting everything back together, I didn't put my Asante ethernet card back in the PDS slot properly, and after turning the machine back on to test that everything was OK still, I heard the death chime and some burning silicon from the network card. Further testing shows that about 2/3 of the time with the card in the slot, it won't boot up at all (death chime), while the other 1/3 it will get to the Welcome to Macintosh screen before death chiming. It's a real shame as this card was bought brand new in box a couple of years ago on eBay (even the warranty stickers were still intact). Looks like I'll have to trawl eBay again for a replacement.

Views: 1614

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sorry to hear about the Ethernet card. Some guy in Japan sells new ones for $200 or so. It's a lot (which is why I haven't bought one yet), but at least it's new and should have a return period.

What did you do to show 2GB instead of 20MB? What's the performance difference (boot time, app launch, ect)?
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info re: the seller in Japan. Do you have any more information about this? I sent the card to a friend of mine who is going to try and repair the card by replacing a couple of suspicious looking chips, I guess the card is toast right now so I don't have much to lose.

I am just thankful that it wasn't the logic board that got fried.

There is a small visual speed increase when booting from the SCSI2SD adapter. The boot time seems shorter by a few seconds. I haven't done any scientific testing through (eg. timing boot up and comparing between old and new drive, or running any read/write tests).

I just used the Apple Hard Drive setup application that was already on the hard drive to set up the partition on the SD card. It initially created a 20MB partition, leaving the rest of the card as free space, so I deleted this partition, took note of how big (in KB) the drive showed up as in this tool, and then created a partition with this size. Two minutes later, the partition was created. It wasn't difficult at all to do.

Hi George

I have a scsi2sd card and I was wondering how you went about setting it up via the scsi2sd-config file

on your imac? This has been a major stumbling block in trying to get it working in my Mac SE.

Any help much appreciated.

Hi Mitchell,

You need to have in your possession a micro-USB cable, a copy of OSX, and a command line tool that you download from codesrc.com. scsi2sd-config for Mac (v3.2). Michael has a version 3.3 of the tool also available on his website, but it seems that this version is only provided as Linux and Windows binaries.

Once you have downloaded the tool, move the file to your desktop and then go into Terminal and enter the following commands:

cd ~/Desktop

chmod +x scsi2sd-config

Once you have done that, plug your device into your USB and then enter the following:

./scsi2sd-config

Some information should show appear in terminal detailing the current settings of what's set on the adapter. If you type ./scsi2sd-config --help, you will see some command line options that you can use to adjust the settings on the card, including SCSI ID.

Hope that helps you out.

Thanks for the post on terminal commands. If I didn't see this post, I never would have figured out exactly what to type.
Waiting to install mine in a SE/30 and SE. Hopefully, the rest will go smoothly when I connect it up.

You're welcome Stephen. If you have any issues just post them here, maybe someone might be able to help you out.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by James.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service