RetroMacCast

Where great old Macs live again!

this might be helpful to some of the people with a lot of old macs and people who like to tinker with them
now i know this is a torrent but i don't think it is illegal, but i don't really care so yeah here it is
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3354322/Apple_Service_Manuals.rar
it took two or thee days but has plenty of manuals and helpful resources

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that is the bulk of it and there are plenty of sub folders including like a 200 page pdf on how to replace the logic board an imac g3
This is something I've never really learned how to use, or do. Use the torrents. I don't get it. Maybe someone could explain how this works?
ok basically it lets you download large files without a lot of servers
... it is simple to download torrents ... http://www.transmissionbt.com/download.php download this ... then the torrent at the pirate bay ... and just let it sit ... let is sit for a while ... like 3-4 days ... it might make your internet a little slow but not really on this one cause there isn't a lot of demand but i am getting a little to technical ... basically you are getting little pieces or "bits" from other people
but it is easy so don't worry ... it is easy to set up
Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info. Gotta love this group!
The deal with torrents is that you have to have a good number of seeders out there for BitTorrent to actually show its merits to the end user.

In general, the use of torrents is much better than your conventional downloads because you aren't saturating one server for the file. When the file is seeded by a bunch of nodes (aka, computers sharing the file) on the Internet, the file can then be rebuilt using the bits and pieces of data from all of those nodes to create one file on the computer that is downloading it. This puts less load on the node that's hosting the file since it's only being accessed for part of the data while the rest of the data is accessed by other nodes with the same file.

A prime example of where torrents have benefit over a single FTP/HTTP download is a GNU/Linux distribution ISO disc image. Let's use Ubuntu as an example since a new version was recently released. Usually, their FTP/HTTP servers providing the file are overloaded with people accessing this ISO image. This also leads to VERY slow download times because these servers are overloaded. For this reason, Ubuntu is using torrents in order to provide the files to users more effectively. But not only are they providing the torrents, the mirrors for Ubuntu are also providing the torrents as might some end users out there seeding the ISO image. All of these nodes will be available to provide bits and pieces of the entire ISO image when downloading it through BitTorrent, which means you'll get the file as quickly as possible (or as fast as your internet connection will allow for). This is the benefit of using torrents, and an aspect where it can be used for legal purposes.

Hope this gives an understanding behind the use of torrents, even if it was a bit long-winded. :-)
That does help, but I'm unclear of how the torrents are made. You say the pieces of a file are downloaded from different computers. Does the file need to be broken into the torrents first? And, how does it know where to start with one bit of the file from one computer, then pick up another from another computer? How does it know that the file is complete and there are no missing pieces of the data? This may seem kinda ditsy, but I don't understand how it is broken up, and put back together.

I tried to download the file and it said it was going to be 22 hrs, so I'll try again later.
no just let it go 22 hours is good
the files aren't necessarily broken up btw it just separates the load better
Thanks! I'm already pulling them out... it might come handy in the future! :)
I've downloaded it! Thanks, it really packs a lot of valuable information. :)

And I sure like those "Apple - confidential - do not distribute" footnotes on some of the documents! ;)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2021   Created by James.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service